Kiel, founded by Graf Adolf IV. of Schauenburg, was granted town-status in 1242. In these days Kiel is a major Baltic port with around 250,000 inhabitants. As a consequence of its excellent geographical position, especially with regard to the artificial channel connecting north and baltic sea, Kiel became an important place for trading. Furthermore, a highly frequent ferry traffic with Scandinavia and other Baltic countries closes the gap in international tourism and lends Kiel and its surrounding area an intercultural flair and the reputation of a place worth visiting. The mild climate in combination with beautiful nature and beaches makes Kiel´s outskirts a favourite destination to relax in Schleswig-Holstein.
The Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel was founded in 1665 and has at present a student population of around 25,000, some 5% of which are from almost 100 foreign countries. The IPDS, which was set up in 1971 within the Faculty of Arts, is situated on the university campus on the outskirts of the town, about 20 minutes away from the city. A short description how to get to the IPDS is given at the end of this text. In addition to this you might also have a look at a map illustrating the mentioned description.
The IPDS is located on the fourth floor of house D in Leibnizstraße 10, next to the new central libary.
To receive further informations please visit the page ´adresses and staff´.
Postal address: Institut für Phonetik und digitale Sprachverarbeitung (IPDS) der Universität Kiel, D-24098 Kiel
How to get to the IPDS:
- A7 Flensburg -> at Autobahndreieck Bordesholm leave the A7 in direction A215 to Kiel
- stay on the A215 until you enter Kiel and then turn left into the Westring (at the first traffic-light)
- Follow the Westring for the next about 3 miles. At the church of the Christian-Albrechts-University (left hand side) turn left again into the Olshausenstraße (fifth traffic-light)
- At the following traffic-light turn right into the Leibnizstraße. Now it is the fourth house on the right side
- Please notice: Persons, who arrive at the IPDS with their own car are supposed to leave it at the public car park. You can reach this free car park by driving straight ahead at the traffic-light Olshausenstr./Leibnizstr. for another 200m and then turning right.
...by bus / train
- From the central omnibus station (ZOB, just outside the train station) you can take bus no. 32, 81 and 22 to get to this part of the universities campus. Leave the bus at the bus-stops called either Uni-Sportstätten or Leibnizstraße. For more details concering timetable etc., please click here. (only german version avaiable!)